Door County Folk Festival Overview
The Door County Folk Festival is one of the most fun-filled, enjoyable and educational dance weekends held in the Midwest. Each year, the Festival attracts hundreds of participants to Door County, Wisconsin, from all around the U.S., Canada, Mexico and often other countries. The 40th Annual Festival Weekend (2019) begins on Wednesday, July 10th and will run from through Sunday, July 14th. This Annual event will continue a tradition of enjoyable, extended July weekends in which one can dance (late into the night if one wishes), sing, play, learn, share experiences, eat, party and make new friends in a congenial, relaxed community atmosphere.
The weekend offers a wide range of options for international folk dancers, traditional contra & square dancers, singers and musicians of all levels of experience and interest, as well as activities and accommodations for their non-dancing family, friends and significant others.
The Festival engages many talented instructors, callers, group leaders, singers and musicians from the Midwest and beyond to lead events.
The 2019 schedule provides a variety of learning and entertainment opportunities including dance workshops, dance parties and youth activities.
For 2019, all events will take place Baileys Harbor Town Hall and Park - with the exception of the Mini-Concert at 10:00am on Thursday at the Scandia Retirement Community.
- For Ethnic Folk Dancing:
- Your choice of fifteen (15) dance workshops (Ethnic Folk Dance, Ethnic Singing, Contras/Squares)
- Your choice of eight (8) Wellness Sessions Essentrics Fitness (4 Sessions, Thu-Sun) and Dance Enhancement (4 Sessions, Thu-Sun)
- Dance Parties every night, with recorded music on Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday and live and recorded music on Friday & Saturday
- Friday evening Bring Your Own Dessert Social Hour in Baileys Harbor Park befor the Party
- Saturday evening Traditional Door County Fish Boil Dinner in Baileys Harbor Park before the Party
- Saturday night Larry Hoey Memorial folk Dance Olympics
- Free Mini Concert showcasing Festival Talent (Thu-Scandia Retirement Community in Sister Bay)
- Free Youth Activities (featuring dance, music, singing, nature, creativity, etc.) (Baileys Harbor Park)
Other Activities in Door County
The Door Peninsula is mid-America's favorite vacation area and is located in north east Wisconsin between Green Bay and Lake Michigan.
Door County (often called "the Cape Cod" of the Midwest) has something for everyone, including: sandy beaches, rocky shores, scenic hiking trails & vistas, bike trails, canoeing, sailing & boating, state parks, fishing, "pick your own" orchards, guided and self-guided scenic tours, museums, art galleries, music & theater, water sports, golf, unique shopping opportunities, an outdoor drive-in movie park, and a large selection of restaurants including one with "Goats on the Roof" (which incidentally is the title of a song written by the Festival's Founder, Gerhard Bernhard), and it has the Door County Folk Festival.